Sunday, July 6, 2008

New day, new adventures!

I am about to deploy to the middle east for the fifth time in 15 years. My daughter, a veteran world traveler after spending the fall semester of 2007 sailing around the world as part of "Semester At Sea," decided I should set up a blog to catalogue my exploits. Interestingly enough she suggested this the day I am packing, running around the house like crazy trying to find everything stashed the last three years after my last trip to the desert. It is a hectic time but one filled with anticipation. The fact that this deployment takes place immediately following the 4th of July (and our local community day, which I am heavily involved with), AND my wedding anniversary on the 5th... just goes to make things a bit more frantic in feeling like I'm up to speed on things.

The idea that we are going at the very hottest part of the year is NOT one one of the things I am looking forward to! The good thing is I really don't have to worry about snow or rain or cold weather issues. Shorts and T-shirts should do just fine, with a windbreaker for the ride home on the rotator if we go in civilian clothes. Other than that, just a couple of pairs of pants and polo shirts for the ride over. Oh yeah, ... and the dehumidifier. I hear it's NOT a dry heat this time of year. 

Tomorrow I drop my bags off at the unit to be palletized and then get some last minute pre-deployment training and paperwork done. We are activated for more than 30 days, so we are back under Tri-Care health insurance and though you would think that enrollment would be automatic, of course it isn't; and is yet one more detail I have to scramble to take care of. 

Some of the other details I need to take care of is making sure that bills are set to be paid, especially the one or two that aren't typically automated, and the beginning of the year College bills for the the girls. Heaven forbid if the schools don't get their ransom on time. Luckily this deployment is only about six weeks, so things can't get too out of hand before I get back. It SHOULD be before school starts, or right as it starts, and I should be able to be involved in all those activities that make the beginning of fall such an exciting time in our family.

1 comment:

Kj said...

Yay Dad you figured out how to blog!!!