Saturday, May 8, 2021

Squadron life (in college)

 The Air Force Academy student body was split into Squadrons, instead of Fraternities. When I attended, there were about 4000 students divided between 40 Squadrons. Each Squadron had about 25 students from each class, Freshman through Seniors.


Seniors were the leadership of the Squadron, with a Squadron Commander, Ops Officer, Training Officer, Flight Commanders, etc. The Juniors were the Senior Enlisted. They implemented training, and were relied upon to execute policies and operations. The Sophomores, fresh from being at the bottom of the training ladder, were the eager beaver junior enlisted responsible for training the Fourth Class.

My first two years at the Academy was in 27th Squadron, known as the Thunderbirds. We resided on the 3rd floor at the east end of Sijan Hall. In previous years cadets would change squadrons after the freshman year, the thought being that no matter what a screw up you were as a SMACK, you could have a fresh start in your new Squadron as an Upperclassman. With the Class of 81, they held them in their freshman squadrons an extra year, much to their outrage (which it felt like they took out on us.).
My freshman squadron: 27 Thunderbirds!

After my Sophomore year, Troy Hithe and I moved to the west side of the the building to 38th Squadron, The All Stars.
Both squadrons were good experiences. Pretty good leadership at both the AOC and cadet level. Several Generals came out of both upper classes. One of the girls in my 2nd squadron, Barb Faulkenbery, became a 2-Star. My first AOC (Air Officer Commanding) in 38th Squadron, was a Captain Drinkwater, an Army Officer (probably a West Point Grad), who had already been a TAC officer at West Point. Tough little bastard who like to pull surprise inspections. His philosophy was to get as many people close to walking Tours as possible so we “Toed the line.” 

Interesting leadership style. My last AOC was Capt Mark E.S. Mayhew. I talk about him later when I retire. Nice guy, but he lost a lot of luster in my eyes my Senior year when he asked me to provide poor performance reports for guys he wanted to kick out.

Every semester we changed roommates. I had two roommates the last two years: Dave Schapiro and Bob Devaney. Dave was a great roommate: Ended up on Group Staff, so I had my own room for two Semesters. When he was in the room, he was usually gone on Choir trips. Same with Bob, who was a hockey player. Most of the hockey season he was on the road, so it was pretty relaxing, though I had to go through lots of room inspections on my own. Dorm life was never boring. As you progressed in age, you took on more duties. I did stuff like Athletics Officer, and Training Officer and Flight Commander. Fun stuff, but it kept you engaged in the group the whole year long. To this day I think it is good leadership training, not to just be a leader, but teaching you how to be a member of a unit, and what to expect as your experience level and expertise increases.
My buddies on a winter Sophomore Saturday night in the dorms. #noleavenoproblem Top: Tom Potier. L-R: Me, Mark Miller, Dave Schrier, Terry Cronk. Sitting: Scott Lardner.

No comments: