Thursday, March 17, 2022

Places I could travel to over and over again

 Having been a transport Nav the last 29 years of my career, I was fortunate to get to travel pretty extensively, even in the Reserves. Unfortunately, most of that was short overnight stays where you got in about dinner time, put the plane away, found a way to a barracks or hotel room (the Air Force preference, especially in the Reserves!), then you try to find food. So no extensive time to spend sightseeing. You could pretty much expect 15 hours after landing you would be airborne again, either headed to the next stop, or on your mission, such as airdropping troops for their training.


That said, there were some places I would go to anytime.

St. Johns, Newfoundland. Fun town, easy to get around in, lots to do, and great food/drinks.

Belfast. Spent a week there waiting for planes to come home from a deployment in 2018.

Ireland (the country). Laura and I spent a week or so traipsing around it for our 25th. Beautiful, easy to get around (save the opposite side of the road driving and roundabouts), and very friendly people.
Iceland. I took a couple of helicopters up there back in the mid 90s. We stayed in the Blue Lagoon spa. Didn’t get out much, but it looked awesome.

Italy. We lived there for 2-1/2 years when I was a kid. Loved all of it.

Germany. I flew Humanitarian Relief missions into Sarajevo out of Frankfurt and Ramstein. Was able to do a Castle tour and eat in some great pubs.

UK and France. I enjoyed my visits, but usually were very short.
Would definitely love to tour Scotland, now that I know I am almost 30% Scottish!

In the States:

Emerald Isle, NC, and Bethany Beach, DE. Love those beaches, and the laid back atmosphere each had.

Key West, Charleston, Savannah. Been to each several times and always enjoyed myself.

Anacortes, WA. Anytime. I would have loved to buy the beach house and just live up there, but definitely did not have the income or the job to live there permanently. But I loved that whole area. Very rejuvenating.

Northern California. Anything outside the cities. I love the atmosphere: there’s a California “feel” that I don’t get anywhere else. The rolling hills with scrub trees, the foothills with the vineyards, Yosemite, Sequoia National Forest, Warm summer nights. Arizona has some of that, but with more of an edge. California is mellower.

Sedona, Arizona was always a fun getaway when we lived in Phoenix. It would be fun to go back and revisit it.

No comments: