Monday, October 11, 2021

More school isn’t for everyone.

 School is not for everyone, and there are a ton of alternate ways to learn, gain more experience, or just plain expand your chosen skill set. I happen to enjoy the academic experience and seem to do okay. I might feel different if I hadn’t gone to the Air Force Academy, complete with a free education and guaranteed job afterwards. The life experience is much different when you are fending for yourself.

For me, getting a Masters Degree seemed the logical move to make as I progressed to an experienced rated officer with options coming up to move forward in the Air Force, or possibly leave the Air Force at some point and try to make my way in the civilian world.

In the Air Force, it was a block checked that no one could deny. The Navigator career field is one that is almost always as a 2nd tier citizen, so to be competitive for good jobs, one needs to do everything possible to deny the promotion board and career managers from pigeon-holing you onto the short track to elimination. Griffiss offered an MBA through Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Albany. Their instructors drove over from Albany to Rome to teach the courses just like in their own classrooms. It was the first time I’d had more than one or two professional educators with Ph.d’s. (The Air Force Academy was generally staffed with officers who were Captains and Majors with Masters degrees). There’s definitely a different vibe.

For the idea of getting out of the Air Force and jumping into the civilian world with a family in tow, getting an MBA seemed a must. I’m sure it helped get the job at Cooper Power Systems when I showed up as a former military officer, and a great education. Could I have gotten a better job with it? Probably, if I didn’t want to keep flying and I didn’t have as much motivation to set down roots and find stability in our lives on a very short timeline.

Has it helped at all over the last 40 years? Absolutely. I think differently than I did before I had those classes. I have used almost all the research and problem solving skills gained through my MBA at some point. Have I needed accounting? or statistics? Some, but just knowing the terms and the concepts have been handy to have in my very meandering career.

As I said at the start, I don’t recommend a Masters for everyone, but I do recommend continuing education no matter what you do. As you get older and more experienced, you get more responsibility, and you will face challenges that are unlike those at lower, more junior levels. Having an expanded background will always serve you well.

No comments: