Sunday, September 12, 2021

Why yes, I DID go to my Senior Prom

 My date for Senior Prom was Carrie Milspaugh. We were not dating, just good friends, who had a lot of classes together.  We were both part of the same strata of kids in school; advanced classes, active in sports and student activities, etc.

The Prom was something like the 29th of April. I had actually started going out with someone else at the end of March. I met Susan Wiant at a party some friends of mine had out at the canals that criss-crossed the farmlands around Avondale, AZ. We’d hang out with a bunch of kids who would park their cars in a circle, turn on the headlights and have music playing, and just sit around and talk in the warm summer evenings, there may have been some Boone’s Farm and Anny Green Springs… pretty much a house party without the house.

Anyway, Polly Purcell, Mike Blake’s girlfriend, brought Susan along with Don Snyder’s girlfriend, Mary Lukasik. Susan and I got to talking and hit it off. The whole next week was trying to decide if we had a thing going or not; and once deciding we did, the concept of Prom suddenly arose. Turned out, she had already been asked by another Senior weeks before, and didn’t feel right about canceling. That left me in the awkward position of not having a date to my Senior Prom, plus being behind in the  ‘finding a date’ process.

I had already thought about asking Carrie, because we got along so well, but then got side-tracked by the whole Susan thing. Naturally, Susan and I had several awkward conversations about her prom date situation vs. our dating status, etc. etc…. and what was I supposed to do, blah, blah, blah… In the end, we agreed I should go, and Carrie was… “acceptable.”

So I asked Carrie (I don’t remember how), and luckily she accepted. We coordinated on attire colors (brown was in, I guess), flowers and boutonnieres. I picked her up in my little yellow VW (while the other group went in a limo!), and off we went to dinner and dancing.

I can’t remember where we went to dinner, but the Prom itself was in downtown Phoenix at the top of the Valley National Bank Building, the tallest building in Phoenix. I think we got to the top floor right about sunset, so the view was spectacular.

Carrie and I had a great time. We weren’t with any other couples, not tied to conversations and plans, so we spent the entire evening dancing and having fun.  That’s where we found out that our class song was, “Dust in the Wind,” by Kansas. Kind of depressing for kids who were just about to head out into the big wide world.

When we were done, we took the scenic route back to Litchfield Park, which wound along the outskirts of town and had some nice elevation to it, so you could look down on the entire city laid out in a spectacular grid. It was really something to see.

All in all it was a really fun night, and Carrie was a great date.

No comments: