Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Activities I was involved in during High School

 I kept pretty busy all during high school. I think that was one of the positive factors for my getting into the Air Force Academy. I was always busy with something.


In Las Vegas, while I attended Rancho High School, I was involved in the Junior National Honor Society (I was President) and then the National Honor Society, which I continued with when we moved to Arizona. I was on the Student Judiciary, which ran the school elections. All my friends where in the Ski Club, because we took trips up to Brian Head in Utah, and Mt. Charleston to ski, sometimes overnight.

I was in band in Junior High School, and at least in 9th grade, at Rancho, I believe I kept at it. I remember marching in a couple parades. But as I got older, I left band for sports and cars and activities with my buddies.

I participated in Boy Scouts up until 9th or so. I was big into it while I lived in Washington. Loved the camping and all the activities. However, when we got to Nevada, the troop wasn’t very active and by the time High School started, I got distracted out of that too.

My favorite activity was journalism. I joined the school paper as soon as I could, and was the editor of the Rancho school paper, The Rampage, my Junior year, and won an award for best layout by Las Vegas Review-Journal HS Awards competition.
After I moved in the spring of my Junior year (which did not make my Advisor, Ms Smith very happy), I worked on both the school paper and year book staff at Agua Fria for the rest of the time I was there. I loved writing and editing the paper.
We had a great newspaper staff at Agua Fria, with Judy Cunningham serving as the establishment-approved editor, and Mike Murphy as the cutting edge anti-establishment (think Rolling Stone) ranter, and I as the opinion editor mucking things up. Sometimes I was popular for my writing, and sometimes not.

When I was put on the alternate list for the Air Force Academy, my plan for college was to go to Northern Arizona University, in Flagstaff, major in Journalism, ski, and see if I could join the ROTC program. Obviously the major could have changed depending on what fancied me, but that was the initial plan. I think it would have been interesting to do investigative reporting for a big paper. Might have been fun… but who knows. As it turns out, I never had the chance to wonder much about it.

No comments: