Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Its nothing personal, it’s politics

 I have pretty strong feelings about politics, but categorizing my overall political philosophy is hard. I would say I’m basically an independent, who, over the past 40 years, has grudgingly migrated from right of center to the left of center. I grew up with the ideal of Kennedy, Martin Luther King, the debacle of Watergate, the Cold War, CIA adventures in Central America, and Iran-Contra. I am basically a political junkie. I find it all fascinating, but I’m glad I’m not in that world.

As I write this, I am still a registered Republican… though I’ve pretty much decided I will never vote for another Republican candidate as long as I live. John McCain was my last vote, and I had reservations about that one (I finally applied to change voting affiliations, but it hasn’t come back yet).

Growing up in a military family, you hear and learn that the Republicans are the ones who are the most patriotic and care about the military the most, blah blah blah.

What I’ve found is the exact opposite. They speak the loudest, they beat their chests the loudest, but they don’t care anything about the military other than to get the Veteran vote. They’ll buy weapons for the military from the defense contractors who donate the most money to their campaigns, whether we need them or not. They don’t demand the best care (VA or Tri-Care) for the veterans they send to war, but they will cut the best deals with the big Health Insurance and Pharmaceutical companies they are in bed with.

I’ve also found they don’t care about taking care of the country we have to live in: don’t believe in climate change (even the military believes in climate change); they don’t support environmental issues like clean air, water and land; they use immigration as a Boogey Man, instead of figuring out how to make it work, knowing full well we are all the result of immigrants coming to this country to make a better life. AND… we need healthy immigration flow to fill all the open jobs in our economy.

They scream, “Capitalism!” but are the first to give tax cuts to the rich and hand-outs to farmers and businesses that are struggling to compete, often paying them NOT to produce (figure that one out). Do they make it easier to compete? No, they impose import tariffs that raise prices and pass the difference on to American buyers. Don’t believe in making it cheaper to get a higher education by forgiving interest on student loans… because no one forgave theirs…!) even though providing a cheaper education means more productivity and a better quality of life for millions of young workers who are the future of the country. (What they really mean is the banks, who are happy to be in the student loan business, lobby them and contribute money to their campaigns to keep the gravy train rolling).

The list goes on and on. Donald Trump was a narcissistic shyster and con artist in NY City, and he carried that to the White House. Only a fool would buy anything he “sells” (or shills), especially patriotism, religion or business acumen. The only thing he ever mastered is bullying and marketing, which produces nothing.

I didn’t vote for him, and after the debacle of his four years and two impeachments, where Republicans failed to show any moral character or concern for our Constitution, I won’t vote for another. Joe Biden may not be the best answer, but his heart is in the right place and if he only gets the Titanic turned back on track, I’ll be satisfied.

Basically, I believe our country is strong enough, prosperous enough, and wealthy enough to take care of its own. There is no reason we have hunger, poverty and homeless in this country. The fact that we do is shameful. We can be successful and still bring everyone along. We just have to have the will to do it.

So whatever I am, it’s no longer a Republican.

No comments: