Sunday, July 21, 2024

Remember MetroJet?

My USAirways Ground School Instructor career was basically centered around MetroJet 

I was one of the new hires to teach the influx of new MetroJet pilots. The schoolhouse was a shuttered local elementary school right by Pittsburgh International. Probably ten minutes from my C-130 Reserve base. Life was good till 9/11. In late 2003 I was called up for two years of Active Duty and multiple deployments. By the time I returned, MetroJet was gone, the schoolhouse was closed, and training had moved to Charlotte. 

Luckily I was offered a full-time Reserve flying job, which meant I didn’t have to move. Miss the teaching, but it all worked out. 

*****

MetroJet was a low-cost division of US Airways which operated between 1998 and 2001.

MetroJet began operations on June 1, 1998 with an initial fleet of five Boeing 737-200 aircraft linking USAir's Baltimore hub with Cleveland, Fort Lauderdale, Providence and Manchester.

Service was expanded to Jacksonville, Miami and Tampa on July 6, 1988.

The MetroJet fleet would ultimately grow to include 49 Boeing 737-200s serving more than 20 destinations in the eastern United States.

Following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, US Airways announced that as part of the company's restructuring efforts that the MetroJet operation would be shut down.






No comments: